English Language Development (ELD)
We’re preparing English Learners for college and career readiness and to be globally competitive in the workplace. Our English Learners receive the same engaging and rigorous Common Core curriculum as their classmates—with additional language-based supports—so that that they are ultimately successful in school and fluent in English.
• All of our teachers use English Language Development (ELD) Standards along with the Common Core Standards and the California State Standards to give English Learners (ELs) what they need to develop language and reach grade-level standards.
• Teachers also use research-based instructional strategies that are proven to be effective in helping ELs understand the lessons being taught at their grade-level.
• Our EL students receive clear ELD instruction (Designated/Dedicated ELD instruction), grouped by proficiency level.
• More than one-fourth of our students are designated as ELs. Thanks to top quality teachers using top quality instructional strategies, more than 25% of our ELs have attained English fluency in our schools.
Language instruction goes Beyond the Expected
Being fluent in more than one language is an asset in our global society. We want our students to be prepared for the 21st Century workplace, so we go beyond the expected.
• Our Dual Language Immersion School—Sherman Oaks Community Charter School—is a California Distinguished School. There, teachers provide instruction 50% in English and 50% in Spanish, with the goal of preparing students for success in both languages.
• Through participation in the Pathway Awards toward Biliteracy Attainment (sponsored by the Santa Clara County Office of Education), students at Sherman Oaks, Campbell Middle, Monroe Middle, and Rolling Hills Middle focus on developing biliterate skills with the goal of achieving the State Seal of Biliteracy at the end of high school.
For more information about English Language Development services at your child’s school, contact the school principal or the District ELD Coordinator. DKilpatrick@campbellusd.org