1. What is transitional kindergarten?
A transitional kindergarten is the first year of a two-year kindergarten program that uses a modified kindergarten curriculum that is age and developmentally appropriate. Pursuant to law, (EC 48000[c]), a child is eligible for transitional kindergarten if a child will have his or her fifth birthday between:
For the 2013–14 school year October 2 and December 2
For the 2014–15 school year and each school year thereafter September 2 and December 2.
2. Who is eligible for TK (what age/birthdate) in Campbell Union School District?
For the 2013-14 school year, students born Sept. 1-October 1 may enroll in Kindergarten or Transitional-Kindergarten. Students born between October 2- December 2 may enroll in Transitional-Kindergarten only.
3. Where are the TK classes located?
The 2013-14 locations are Blackford, Capri, and Lynhaven schools. It is the Governing Board’s desire to offer a TK class at each elementary school campus, pending available funding and capacity.
4. Will my child automatically attend kindergarten at the same school where s/he attended TK?
It’s not automatic—unless that school is the child’s “Resident School.” School placement for kindergarten begins with identifying which school serves the child’s home address. Parents may request a different school during the annual kindergarten Open Enrollment period. (Refer to Board Policy 5116.1).
5. Will transitional kindergarten continue after 2014?
5. Is TK required?
No. Enrollment in TK and kindergarten is voluntary (though highly recommended). Parents may wait and enroll their children in kindergarten the following year.
6. Who will teach TK?
The TK teachers are selected from among the pool of highly qualified and credentialed faculty members who expressed interest in teaching the new grade.
7. Is TK an all-day or part-time program?
The TK day will be as long as the kindergarten day, which is about 6 hours.
8. Will I have to re-enroll my TK child for kindergarten next year?
No. Children who complete TK will be pre-enrolled in school for the following year and assigned to kindergarten in the school that serves the child’s home address. (Parents who wish to request a different school for kindergarten need to participate in Open Enrollment in January-February 2013.)
9. What curriculum will be used?
TK in CUSD will use curriculum that bridges preschool and kindergarten.
10. Where can I get more information about TK?
- Enrollment Desk: 408-364-4200
- Web: www.campbellusd.org/newstudent
- Email: ask_us[at]campbellusd[dot]org.
What is the Kindergarten Readiness Act of 2010?
Senate Bill (SB) 1381 (Chapter 705, Statues of 2010) amended California Education Code (Section 46300, 48000, and 48010) to change the required birthday for admission to kindergarten and first grade and established a transitional kindergarten program beginning in the 2012–2013 school year.