Why Transition to By-Trustee Area Elections?
Pursuant to Education Code section 35012, the five members of CUSD’s Governing Board are currently elected under an at-large election system, where trustees are elected by voters in the entire District. Board members are elected in even-number years and serve staggered, four-year terms, such that the next election for the two trustee seats is scheduled for November 2020, with the remaining trustee seats scheduled for election in November 2022.
Under the California Voting Rights Act (CVRA), at-large elections are impermissible if they result in racially polarized voting. The only election system that provides CUSD complete protection from a CVRA claim is a “by-trustee area” election system.
While the District leadership does not believe that its current form of elections violates the CVRA, it does believe that it is in the public interest to begin the process to transition from at-large to trustee-area elections to minimize the potential for impermissible racially-polarized voting.
The transition process will include opportunities for public input with regard to delineating the trustee area boundaries. Opportunities for public input regarding the content of the draft maps and the sequence of elections include but are not limited to four public hearings. Pursuant to Elections Code section 10010, subdivision (a), the District will hold at least two public hearings before the drawing of draft trustee-area maps and two public hearings after all the draft maps are drawn.
Questions can be emailed to:
- Public Hearing September 23, 2019 Notice
- Public Hearings (two) October 3, 2019
- Public Hearing October 24, 2019
- Public Hearing November 7, 2019
- Public Hearing November 21, 2019
- Public Hearing December 09, 2019
The Governing Board has adopted the following resolutions:
- Resolution 2019-20-10, Intent to Transition from At-Large to By-Trustee Area Board Elections
- Resolution 2019-20-13, Resolution Authorizing the Superintendent to Seek a Waiver from the State Board of Education
- Resolution 2019-20-14, Establish Criteria for Developing Trustee-Area Boundaries
- Resolution #2019-20-22 Resolution Of The Governing Board Of The Campbell Union School District Initiating A Proposal To The Santa Clara County Committee On School District Organization For The Adoption Of By-Trustee-Area Elections
- Resolution #2019-20-28 Resolution Of The Governing Board Of The Campbell Union School District Summarizing the Adoption Of By-Trustee-Area Elections