Board Updates Policies - Winter 2016-17
Governing Board policies guide the District's regulations on a wide range of topics. Policies are available to the public in multiple ways.
Following are highlights of the Campbell Union School District Governing Board Policy Revisions from the first half of the 2016-17 School Year. Copies of policies and regulations are available in print from school offices, the District Administration Office, and are online at campbellusd.org/policy. Board meeting agendas and minutes also list policies being considered for revision.
- School-Connected Organizations (BP/AR 1230 revised)
The policy and regulation were updated to clarify the relationship between the district and a school-connected organization, such as a booster club, parent-teacher organization, or other nonstudent organization. The policy adds material about establishing such organizations as separate legal entities subject to their own bylaws and rules; delegates the responsibility to approve organizations' fundraisers to the superintendent or designee; and reflects legal requirement that donations and participation in fundraising activities be voluntary.
- Uniform Complaint Procedures (BP/AR 1312.3 revised)
Policy and regulation were updated to reflect new laws relating to complaints of noncompliance with accommodations for lactating students (AB 302, 2015), educational rights of foster youth and homeless students (AB 379, 2015), assignment of students to courses without educational content for more than one week per semester or to courses they have previously completed (AB 1012, 2015), and physical education instructional minutes in elementary schools (AB 1391, 2015).
- District Records (BP 3580 revised)
Policy was updated to reflect legal requirement to disclose any breach of security of district records that contain personal information, as defined, by providing a written or electronic notification that meets the content and formatting requirements specified in law.
- Interdistrict Attendance / Children of Military Families (BP 5117 and AR 6173.2 revised)
A new paragraphs were added to reflect amendments to Education Code 48301:
- At the end of BP 5117: “A child of an active military duty parent/guardian shall not be prohibited from transferring out of the district to a school district of choice, if the other school district approves the application for transfer. (Education Code 48301)”
- At the end of AR 6173.2: “A child of an active military duty parent/guardian shall not be prohibited from transferring out of the district to any district that has declared itself to be a "school district of choice" pursuant to Education Code 48300-48316, if the other school district approves the application for transfer. (Education Code 48301)”
- Sexual Health and HIV/AIDS Prevention Instruction (BP/AR 6142.1 revised)
The policy and regulation were updated to reflect new law requiring districts to provide comprehensive sexual health education in grades 7-12 and to integrate that instruction with HIV prevention education. Policy also was updated to clarify requirements related to parental consent. Regulation adds new section on "Definitions," expands program criteria, and merges the components of sexual health education and HIV prevention education.
NOTE: For more details about these or other policies and regulations, please contact the school principal, consult the Parent Handbook of Notices, or email the District Public Information Officer at <http://www.privatedaddy.com/?q=AW1lJxRqUR8bcgICCXFtMzJKKQYQXzZ2QjA-3D_713> or phone 408-341-7254.