How Parents Choose Schools
A Message from the Superintendent about what parents say they want for their students
Survey Offers Insights on How Parents Choose Schools
In January, parents throughout our District will be looking ahead at enrolling their children in Kindergarten or considering whether they want their 5th grader to attend middle school. A survey of Campbell Union School District (CUSD) parents has given us some insights about what parents in our district seek when choosing a school for their child. The information is helpful as we review our school plans and prepare to welcome a new group of families.
The “Schools of Choice” survey, issued in Spring 2016, was part of the District’s Strategic Goal to ensure that every CUSD school is one any parent would choose for their child.
In June 2016, researcher Juliet Tiffany-Morales presented key findings to the Governing Board, and we want to share highlights with you.
- Parents’ top factors when choosing a school for their children.
- Elementary School: School safety, Positive Discipline, Siblings in the same school
- Middle School: School safety, Positive Discipline, Availability of visual/performing arts programming
- Most useful information sources when parents seek information about district schools are:
- School visits and tours;
- Family and friends;
More information is available by request or online.
- Enrollment for the 2017-18 school year begins January 17, 2017. Enroll online at campbellusd.org/enrollment.
- District’s Strategic Plan page: campbellusd.org/strategicplan
- Full Schools of Choice report: campbellusd.org/files/stratplan_choicesurveyresults_06022016.pdf